Saturday, June 17, 2017

The Letter

I have been farming at my homestead in Jackson, the township area outside the village of Cambridge, New York, for seven years. As a single woman I have purchased this farm, raised good food, taught classes, and wrote books. I’ve followed my passions here. I've fallen apart here. I built myself back up here. This is the place that created the woman I am today. This is home.

Today a certified letter arrived in the mail. A notice of foreclosure. Making monthly mortgage payments is all well and good – but if you are always a month or two behind when you send them - you are still behind. And every day you are behind adds up as default. I haven’t had the ability to earn enough in one fell swoop to cover the back payments. I thought I was keeping the wolves from the door by making regular payments, but the wolves are not waiting any longer.

I have a few days to gather the money and I don’t want to do a crowdfunded charity if I can avoid it. I have zero problem with people using these, but I feel that I have skills and work I can offer instead.  I'd much rather have a folder of 30 clients wanting something I made and the ability to give something of value in return for hard-earned money.

So here is what I am going to try. I am going to design a voucher for a pet art commission or logo and offer them to you to purchase.


The pet art/animal commissions are $100 for full color artwork mailed anywhere in the world. They are on 9x12” Bristol Board. Please Email me at dogsinourparks(at)gmail.com if you would like to purchase or gift one to someone who could use it.

The Logo Design vouchers are $200. It is a flat rate for a custom logo. Please Email me at dogsinourparks(at)gmail.com if you would like to purchase or gift one to someone who could use it.

These are both $50 off the regular price. If you buy one from me you can use it anytime in the future or the person you gift it to can for a drawing or logo. If I can sell enough to catch up it will literally save this farm. It’s made it 7 years and I really, really, want to see it make 8.

If artwork or a logo isn’t your thing, I offer archery and fiddle classes at the farm. there is also an option on my blog, barnheart.com to subscribe as a patron for $5 a month for the writing.

If you just want to make a one time contribution to the blog - there is the option to use www.paypal.me/JennaCAF

And what is the plan if I do manage to save this place in a weekend? The plan is to keep writing, farming, freelancing, and working until I gain the solvency doing what I love. And if I fail, then I fail. If my writing or products created from this place are not valuable to people than that is what should happen and I accept that. But I’m going to keep trying. And hoping to make the break that makes a name for this place that makes all the difference - whatever that may be.

Note: If you do not want to support the blog, that's fine. The blog is free and has been for all ten years of content. I do ask that if you dislike me, this farm, or my work you keep your comments/emails/tweets to yourself for a few days. Please respect my candor, if nothing else. I am trying my best to earn the money I need from people who want to support the farm. I want to use work, and repaid loans like Kiva offers instead of crowdfunding if possible. If asking for that opportunity offends you, I don't know what else to say.

6 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

How long do you have to get the money Jenna? I so hope you can pull this out, you havent stayed 7 years for nothing. Hang in there

June 17, 2017 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Jenna Woginrich said...

Thank you Roxanne, right now Twitter has been amazing with support and sharing the logo sale. I hope I can to. The letter doesn't give a hard date, it says I need to call for that information and the bank isn't in "office hours" on a Saturday. I hope to find out Monday Morning. It does say that the letter isn't an eviction. So there is some time.

June 17, 2017 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Don Wood said...

So, you've probably already looked this up, but: http://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumer/hetptimeline.htm

Also, I am bummed that this is happening at the worst possible time for us to help with cash, with no actual paycheck job in the house right now. Probably not something you understand at all...:)
My nursing classes will end and my emt classes begin in about a week. At that time I will have a few weeks where I will be "free" except for studying and chores two days a week. If you have any followers within 2 hours of South Orange NJ, I'll give them a day of carpentry (7hours) if they give you a couple hundred bucks.

June 17, 2017 at 6:40 PM  
Blogger Erin O'Connell said...

The logo vouchers have been talked up to several Boston friends. Fingers crossed.
I don't know what faith you may follow, but I always found this passage helpful...
2 Corinthians 12:9 My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

***hugs***

June 17, 2017 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Kat the Leopardess said...

Web designer and designer from SoCal. A few anthro artists and animal lovers pointed me to this blog. It really sucks that having that back payment (despite being on track with mortgage now) as grounds to foreclose. I can only hope you are safe from greedy developers in the areas surrounding your farm/house.

Admirable to see you are able to offer some of your skills to the fundraiser. Curious how close you are now to having the money since it seems like you have til Monday to pay up. Can put out the word on my sites too if you are still taking commissions.

June 18, 2017 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Things to do 1
) go to knowyouroptions.com
2) Google (your state name) foreclosure prevention assistance ** only click on .Gov or org. .gov will probably be a state agency
3) call lender a) repayment plan paying 1.3-1.5 of mortgage for 6 months This will also pay all late charges and fees (usually not negotiable). b) modify. The will be specific your finances and original mortgage. This may or may not change your interest rate, or change your payment amount, but will most likely will extend the mortgage out to 2057

***** Most important. *** Do NOT stop paying, NEVER give any one money to 'fix' the problems. Never make payment to any one but your servicer. Please report as a scam.

Best wishes, Please have a cup of tea or your calming drink of choice

June 18, 2017 at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home